Thursday, July 14, 2011

Pocho Handbook

Hanging in the Archives
I started this blog to supplement my dissertation writing, giving me another space to bounce pocho/pochteca/poch[o]tec@ thoughts against the virtual wall.
Fortunately for my dis, I've derelicted this blog for pages, but I did want to post on a book I ran across called the The Pocho Handbook.

It happened when I was doing some archival research at UT Austin's Benson Collection for all things pocho. In the Pocho Handbook, it begins acknowledging the chapbook-like document's status as a kind of internal document among the diverse Chicano population. The document takes a narrative form after the initial situating of what the purpose of the document is. In it, there's some discussion of the connection to the pochteca that I found helpful for my work.

The handbook reaffirms how pocho demonstrates the diversity of latinidad, rejecting the monolithic notion.

No comments:

Post a Comment